Man's actions praised following tumble dryer blaze

Post by George Dixon on 24th June 2013 in Appliance safety

Man's actions praised following tumble dryer blaze

A man from Rochdale has been praised for helping to rescue his family from a burning flat after their tumble dryer caught fire.

The 46-year-old was alerted to the fire by a smoke alarm and thanks to his quick thinking was able to safely evacuate his family from the property on Huddersfield Road. Medics and firefighters arrived and while the householder was treated for smoke inhalation, the fire in the cellar of the flat was extinguished.

Watch Manager Paul Wilkinson said: "The family left a tumble dryer running when they went to bed and it set alight causing a substantial fire in the basement.

"Fortunately they had a working smoke alarm and the owner of the property did an excellent job at leading his family and pet dog to safety."

According to Councillor David Acton, chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, the family not only had a working smoke alarm fitted in the property, they also had an evacuation plan already in place.

He also praised the man's swift action, but issued a reminder to others not to leave domestic appliances such as tumble dryers and dishwashers running overnight or while there is no one in the house.

"Tumble dryers can easily overheat and we would urge everyone to ensure they are properly maintained and not left unattended for long periods of time," he said.

Related articles: