Engineer fined for shoddy gas work

Post by Kevin Jackson on 28th March 2013 in Appliance safety

Engineer fined for shoddy gas work

A heating engineer from Norfolk has been fined by magistrates after breaching gas safety regulations in carrying out sub-standard work. 

David Scent, from Hingham, installed a gas boiler at a newly-built property in Dereham between August 2011 and May last year. Faults were subsequently discovered with the pipework and flue after the home's resident raised the alarm. 

It was subsequently established that Mr Scent was not Gas Safe registered, as is a legal requirement for anyone undertaking this kind of work. 

"Mr Scent installed a gas boiler and gas pipework knowing he was not legally allowed to do so," said Health and Safety Executive inspector Steven Gill. "People die from CO poisoning caused by gas appliances and flues that have not been properly installed, maintained or that are poorly ventilated." 

In a hearing at Norwich Magistrates' Court this week, Mr Scent pleaded guilty to two breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998. He was fined £1,400 and ordered to pay £2,190 in costs.

Related articles: