Landlord fined over gas safety breaches

Post by Kevin Jackson on 27th March 2013 in General industry

Landlord fined over gas safety breaches

A landlord from South Yorkshire has been fined over a series of gas safety breaches which put the health of a tenant at risk. 

Sima Yaqub, of Sheffield, failed to provide her tenant with a landlord's gas safety record, recruited an unregistered gas fitter to install a boiler - which was left in a dangerous condition - ignored repeated warnings and refused to identify the fitter when asked. 

In a hearing at Sheffield Magistrates' Court this week, Ms Yaqub was fined £17,000 and ordered to pay full costs of £6,916 after pleading guilty to five breaches of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations of 1998. 

"Sima Yaqub has shown a wilful and consistent disregard for the welfare and safety of the tenant and her family and has neglected her duty of care as a landlord over many months," said Health and Safety Executive inspector Denise Fotheringham. "Landlords have clear duties to ensure that gas appliances in properties are maintained in a safe condition." 

Last week, a Lancashire family were treated by medics after being exposed to carbon monoxide over an extended period.

Related articles: