Badly maintained fryer scalded fast food shop worker

Post by George Dixon on 28th December 2012 in Appliance safety

Badly maintained fryer scalded fast food shop worker

And the owner of the shop where the incident took place has been given a six-month suspended jail sentence for breaching health and safety rules.

Suyleman Hashim was sprayed with oil which had been heated to 200 degrees Centigrade at a takeaway in Stony Stratford, near Milton Keynes in Buckinghamshire, in June 2009.

A judge at Aylesbury Crown Court was told that the shop's owner, Saidqur Rahman, did not tell environmental health officers about the incident, but he was reported to them by Mr Hashim's wife.

Mr Hashim initially drove home straight after the incident, but an ambulance was later called and took him to the hospital, where he underwent a series of skin grafts.

Environmental health officers from Milton Keynes Council later called at the shop and seized the fryer, which had been taken out of the shop and was found hidden outside under a tarpaulin.

As a result of his conviction, Rahman was also ordered to carry out 150 hours of community service, and has been disqualified from acting as a business director for five years. He was also ordered to pay £2,500 in costs to Milton Keynes Council. It had asked for more than £11,500 but was told Rahman had no money.

Related articles: