A landlord from Cambridge has been handed a suspended prison sentence after pleading guilty to breaching gas safety regulations.
Emran Hussain failed to ensure that gas appliances at a property he rented out were safe, even going to the lengths of producing a fake certificate after being issued with an improvement notice by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE).
In a hearing at Cambridge Magistrates’ Court last week, Mr Hussain was sentenced to a total of two months’ imprisonment, to run concurrently but suspended for 12 months. He was also ordered to pay legal costs amounting to £4,768.
“It is important that landlords fulfil their legal gas safety obligations to their tenants by ensuring that an annual gas safety check is carried out by a suitably qualified Gas Safe registered engineer, and that tenants are provided with a copy of these checks,” said HSE inspector Roxanne Barker.
Last week, Humberside Fire and Rescue Service reminded homeowners to be aware of the dangers posed by carbon monoxide leaks.