Bizarre accident sees vacuum start cooker fire

Post by Tom Williams on 26th November 2012 in Appliance safety

Bizarre accident sees vacuum start cooker fire

Firefighters in Kent had to deal with an unusual incident involving two domestic appliances last week after a vacuum cleaner started an oven fire.

Emergency crews were called to a house in Eagles Road, Greenhithe on Thursday afternoon after the owners of a property returned home to find it filled with smoke.

According to a report by Kent News, the blaze started after a vacuum cleaner fell over and turned on the oven. As the fire took hold, the front of the kitchen cupboards melted and the property's windows began to crack because of the intense heat.     

The house was already filled with thick, black smoke as two fire engines arrived at the scene and officers tackled the blaze.

Dave Boakes, Dartford watch manager, said: "This highlights how easily a fire can break out. My advice to residents is to ensure cookers and other appliances are always switched off after use and never store items around ovens and hobs.

"It is essential that you have working smoke alarms fitted in your home as they provide an early warning of fire."

Kent Fire and Rescue Service was called to attend another kitchen fire on Saturday after a portable grill was left unattended and caught fire. The three adults inside the property were alerted to the blaze after a passer-by raised the alarm.

Related articles: