Householders urged to check safety of appliances

Post by Kevin Jackson on 25th October 2012 in Appliance safety

Householders urged to check safety of appliances

Residents across Angus in Scotland have been urged to make sure their domestic appliances are in good working order.

Events are being run by the Angus Community Safety Partnership in a number of locations throughout the district in order to raise awareness of fire safety. Appliance testers will be present at each event to check electrical goods, as well as offer advice and guidance on safety matters in the home.

A particular emphasis is being placed on faulty electric blankets, which are to blame for more than 1,000 fires in the UK each year.

Angus Councillor Lynne Devine attended the launch event in Forfar last week. She said: "Faulty domestic appliances and faulty house wiring are responsible for many accidents and fires in the home.

"We are having these safety days to raise awareness of the dangers of electricity and faulty electrical appliances, particularly electric blankets."

The events have received financial backing from the Electrical Safety Council (ESC). Research carried out by the organisation last month found that appliance misuse is the top cause of all fires in British homes.

The ESC discovered that a third of the people it questioned admitted to creating a fire hazard by using their kitchen microwave as an additional surface and blocking air vents.

Related articles: