Know your rights, says Gas Safe Register

Post by George Dixon on 28th September 2012 in Appliance safety

Know your rights, says Gas Safe Register

Gas Safe Register has urged students to know their rights, after a new study indicated serious failings in the private rented sector's approach to gas safety. 

According to a survey carried out by the organisation, only half of tenants were issued with a gas safety record when they moved into their home, even though landlords are legally obliged to provide such documentation. 

Landlords must also ensure that gas appliances are checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer and serviced regularly. With students currently returning to universities across the country, Gas Safe Register has advised them to ensure their landlords meet their obligations. 

An Oxford landlord was hit by a fine earlier this year, after student tenants were poisoned by carbon monoxide (CO) having not been issued with a gas safety record.  The initial symptoms of CO poisoning may at first appear similar to flu or a hangover. 

Earlier this week, energy infrastructure firm National Grid was fined and ordered to pay costs by Dudley Magistrates' Court, after its engineers inadvertently caused a gas like whilst carrying out work in Halesowen.

Related articles: