Rogue gas fitter ‘put lives at risk’

Post by Tom Williams on 19th September 2012 in Appliance safety

Rogue gas fitter ‘put lives at risk’

An unregistered fitter from Greater Manchester has been ordered to carry out community work and pay costs after illegally carrying out gas work. 

Paul Gregory – of Middleton, near Manchester – was handed a community order of 300 hours and told to pay £2,279 in legal costs after admitting breaching regulations by completing work at three separate homes across Rochdale over a four-month period last year. 

A National Grid engineer subsequently found that a gas hob fitted by Mr Gregory at a property in Milnrow was dangerously unsafe. Mr Gregory had also used a false Gas Safe Register number in documentation to two safety checks he carried out. 

“Landlords rely on annual gas safety checks to make sure their properties are safe, but the checks Mr Gregory completed were worthless,” said Health and Safety Executive inspector Philip Strickland. “Gas work has the potential to cost lives if it is not carried out by qualified gas fitters.” 

The judgment came after Staffordshire landlady Liane Dewsbury was fined £1,500 for failing to provide gas safety certificates for two of her properties.

Related articles: