Plumber handed suspended sentence

Post by Tom Williams on 29th August 2012 in Appliance safety

Plumber handed suspended sentence

A plumber from Essex has been given a suspended prison sentence after his company fitted an unsafe boiler, potentially posing a health risk to tenants. 

Lee Lawrence – trading as Amber Plumbing Solutions – was handed a suspended jail term of twelve months and 100 hours of community service by Colchester Magistrates’ Court this week. He was also ordered to pay £4,500 compensation and legal costs of £2,385. 

His conviction relates to the installation of a boiler at a house in Clacton-on-Sea last year, which was subsequently found to be faulty by a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector. Mr Lawrence’s company also falsely advertised itself as being Gas Safe registered. 

“Mr Lawrence showed a blatant disregard for the safety of his customers. A registered gas engineer had no hesitation in labelling the boiler as an immediate danger to life or property,” said HSE inspector Edward Crick. “There is no excuse for illegally carrying out work on gas appliances and to falsely claim Gas Safe Register membership.” 

Earlier this month, the Swindon Advertiser reported that Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service had launched a new campaign to raise public awareness of the potential dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.

Related articles: