Fitter convicted of gas safety breach

Post by George Dixon on 25th July 2012 in Appliance safety

Fitter convicted of gas safety breach

A gas fitter from Staffordshire has been handed a suspended prison sentence and ordered to carry out community service after breaching safety regulations. 

Mark David Austin, of Newcastle-under-Lyme, was found by a Health and Safety Executive (HSE) probe to have falsely issued safety records with a Gas Safe Register identification number in 2010, despite having never been registered. 

In a recent hearing at Cannock Magistrates’ Court, Mr Austin was given a jail term of 12 months, suspended for 18 months, as well as being instructed to perform 200 hours of community work and pay costs of £1,000. 

“Anybody who carries out work on boilers, hobs, ovens, fires or any other gas appliances without being on the Gas Safe Register is breaking the law,” said HSE inspector Janice Dale. “Poorly maintained, faulty or badly installed gas work can cause explosions or carbon monoxide poisoning, which can be fatal.” 

Last week, Lowestoft gas engineer Antony George Hewitt was fined £12,000 by magistrates after faking safety records by fraudulently signing them using the names of registered fitters.

Related articles: