Gas fitter prosecuted over illegal work

Post by Jeff Stevens on 29th May 2012 in Appliance safety

Gas fitter prosecuted over illegal work

A gas engineer from Somerset has been ordered to carry out community work after admitting to illegally installing a boiler and flue whilst unregistered. 

In a recent hearing at North Avon Magistrates’ Court, Jeffrey Maslen, from Clevedon, was given a 12-month community order, an eight-week curfew between the hours of 8pm and 7.30pm as well as being instructed to pay costs of £1,412.50. 

Mr Maslen carried out the work at a property in Severn Beach, near Bristol, in March 2009 but was not Corgi-registered at the time, and the equipment was later found to be a potential health hazard. Corgi was subsequently superseded by the Gas Safe Register the following month. 

“It is imperative that those who carry out work on gas fittings are properly registered with Gas Safe, and are competent to carry out the work,” said Health and Safety Executive inspector Caroline Bird. “The consequences of incorrectly fitted gas appliances and inadequate flues can and do lead to loss of life.” 

Earlier this week, researchers from Liverpool John Moores University warned that many homes may be without carbon monoxide detectors.

Related articles: