Gas fitter ‘put lives at risk’

Post by Kevin Jackson on 26th April 2012 in Appliance safety

Gas fitter ‘put lives at risk’

A Nottinghamshire gas fitter has been fined by magistrates after it was found he had illegally carried out gas work whilst unregistered. 

Robert Metcalf, of Hucknall, fitted a boiler at a property in August and September 2009, despite not being Gas Safe registered at the time. The alarm was initially raised after the resident contacted authorities to check Mr Metcalf’s registration status. 

A subsequent Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation uncovered a number of problems with the boiler making it a potential health hazard. Mr Metcalf was this week fined £500 and ordered to pay costs of £200 by Nottingham Magistrates’ Court. 

“In order to work legally in the UK, gas installers must be registered with the appropriate approved body. It is essential that homes and businesses check this before having work carried out to ensure the job is completed to a high standard and most of all, is safe,” said HSE inspector David Butter. 

Earlier this month, a landlord from Wigan received a community order after pleading guilty to a breach of gas safety regulations.

Related articles: