Landlady sentenced over gas safety breaches

Post by Jeff Stevens on 30th March 2012 in

Landlady sentenced over gas safety breaches

A landlady from Essex has been sentenced to community service after admitting to several breaches of gas safety regulations, potentially risking the lives of her tenants. 

Onyemauche Peel, of Basildon, failed to ensure annual gas safety checks were carried out in at least four of her properties between 2003 and 2010. Subsequent inspections found that two boilers posed such a health risk that they had to be switched off immediately. 

Mrs Peel also used unregistered engineers to carry out some appliance checks and install a gas boiler in one property. She was ordered to carry out 150 hours of community service and pay costs of £2,000 by Basildon Crown Court. 

“Owning properties and renting them out can be very profitable. But it also comes with responsibilities. Landlords must ensure that gas appliances are maintained in a safe condition,” said Health and Safety Executive (HSE) inspector Sue Matthews. “This means having annual gas safety checks, repairs, and installation work carried out by Gas Safe registered engineers.” 

Ms Matthews added that an HSE investigation discovered that at least half a dozen children had been put at risk by Mrs Peel’s failure to meet her gas safety obligations.

Related articles: