Builders act after gas leak

Post by Tom Williams on 28th February 2012 in

Builders act after gas leak

Property developer Taylor Wimpey is to replace hundreds of flues at a housing estate in west London after three families were poisoned by carbon monoxide. 

According to the Ealing Gazette, nine people - all of whom subsequently made a full recovery – living on the Grand Union Village estate in Northolt were affected by a gas leak last month, prompting the building firm to take action. A further 200 homes are expected to be built in the area this year. 

“We had a gas flue safety inspection programme in place that has been reviewed and agreed with the Health and Safety Executive,” said a spokesman for Taylor Wimpey. “It identifies the specific properties that require an examination of the gas flues. This includes carrying out any remedial work identified as necessary following the inspection.” 

Jan Wilford, from the village’s board of trustees, praised the firm for taking such swift action and said it had worked closely with local residents and estate management to resolve the issue. 

Earlier in the month, a Berkshire gas fitter was fined by magistrates in Reading after he was found to have carried out work he was unauthorised to perform.

Related articles: