Homeowners warned following dishwasher fire

Post by Tom on 23rd December 2011 in

Homeowners warned following dishwasher fire

Homeowners have been warned to ensure they take care when using domestic appliances over the Christmas period.

White goods in homes up and down the country will come in for heavy use over the coming days as families across Britain gather to celebrate Christmas. Fire safety experts have urged people to be cautious and have issued a reminder that leaving an appliance such as a dishwasher on overnight can have disastrous consequences if it malfunctions and catches fire.

Firefighters were called to a property in Droitwich, Worcestershire, on Monday, shortly after midnight, after a dishwasher caught fire in a domestic property.

According to a report by the Worcester News, watch commander Craig Newman, of Hereford & Worcester Fire and Rescue Service, said the property did not have a smoke alarm but luckily the blaze was spotted in time.

He said: "It was fortunate the fire was noticed when it was as there wasn't a smoke alarm installed at the property.

"We'd take this opportunity to remind everyone to ensure they have a working smoke alarm fitted on every floor of their home and to test it on a weekly basis."

Related articles: