Faulty dishwasher sparks fire

Post by Tom on 30th September 2011 in

Faulty dishwasher sparks fire

A couple from Berkshire were forced to flee their home after their dishwasher caused a fire in their kitchen on Thursday evening. 

According to the Get Reading news website, the pair – believed to be aged in their 30s – were uninjured but significant smoke damage was caused in the blaze, which broke out at their Wokingham home at around 8pm yesterday. Firefighters arrived at the property after the couple had escaped. 

“We got in and used the thermal camera to look around,” said Jason Schofield from Wokingham Fire Station. “We opened the door to the kitchen and the smoke layer was down to the floor. We could see the fire in the dishwasher and we got a CO2 extinguisher underneath it to put the fire out.” 

Earlier in the week, the Watford Observer reported that a man from South Oxhey was helped out of his flat by fire crews in the early hours of Monday morning after his oven caught fire. Neighbours alerted the emergency services after overhearing the man’s smoke alarm and he was subsequently treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation.

Related articles: