Residents treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

Post by Tom on 29th September 2011 in

Residents treated for carbon monoxide poisoning

Two people from Cambridge have been treated by medics for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, after noticing the boiler in their flat had started making a hissing noise. 

According to Cambridge First, firefighters attended the property in the suburb of Chesterton late on Tuesday evening, with two of the four residents attended to by paramedics having experienced difficulty breathing. The boiler is now set to be checked by professional engineers. 

A spokesman for Cambridgeshire Fire and Rescue Service urged other householders to ensure all gas appliances are examined by registered specialists on a regular basis and recommended taking any other relevant precautions to lower the risk of CO poisoning. 

“Appliances should be fitted and serviced once a year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. A blocked boiler flue or faulty appliance can cause carbon monoxide poisoning,” the representative commented. “A carbon monoxide detector could save your life.” 

Research from Gas Safe Register suggested last week that many landlords are potentially putting their tenants’ wellbeing at risk by failing to ensure that boilers and other gas appliances are serviced regularly by qualified engineers.

Related articles: