The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has warned landlords not to carry out gas appliance repairs in their own properties unless they’re fully qualified.
The advice follows the successful prosecution of a landlord from Glasgow who completed gas fitting work on a boiler at one of his properties despite not being legally allowed to do so. HSE inspectors also found Mohammed Aslam had installed a boiler illegally, as well as carried out work on other gas appliances.
Repairs to gas appliances must be done by professionals who are on the Gas Safe Register and have a valid Gas Safe registration card.
HSE principal inspector Barry Baker said: "Every year people die because of dangerous and badly maintained gas appliances. Last year 10 people across the UK died from gas related incidents and hundreds were hospitalised.
"This case demonstrates how easily people can be put at risk after appliances were left in a dangerous condition by someone who was not qualified to carry out gas work."