Firefighters push safety message following house fire

Post by The Commander on 26th April 2011 in

Firefighters push safety message following house fire

Fire safety officers have urged homeowners to take care when preparing food at night following a blaze in Milton Keynes.

Three fire engines were called to a property in the town at 1.30am last Friday after an unattended pan caught fire. Smoke alarms were triggered and everyone managed to escape.

Watch manager Lee Bloom, of Buckinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: "It only takes a moment for an unattended pan to turn into an emergency incident.

"It’s never a good idea to cook when you’re tired or if you’ve been drinking. If you are hungry late at night, it’s best to have something that doesn’t need to be cooked."

In a separate incident, a resident at Serpentine Court in Milton Keynes, will need to organise a washing machine repair after an appliance caught fire outside a block of flats. Seven adults needed to be led to safety by firefighters as the blaze took hold.

Crews from Bletchley and Great Holm were called to the scene at 10.15pm last Thursday evening. They used a hose reel to extinguish the fire and a large fan to disperse the smoke.

Related articles: