Faulty washing machine causes house fire

Post by Jeff Stevens on 8th March 2016 in General industry

Faulty washing machine causes house fire
A woman from Yeovil was left homeless after a fire caused by a defective Hotpoint tumble dryer gutted the property.
 
According to the Western Gazette, Emma Rickerby and her family were left with only the clothes they were wearing after the blaze. The rest were badly damaged by the fire and ensuing smoke.
 
The family's neighbours, however, have been doing what they can to help.
 
"A group of us put up an appeal for her on Facebook and it's just gone from there," said family friend Debbie Spencer. "She was left with nothing but we've been inundated with stuff. We've had Easter eggs, a 32 inch TV, kitchen utensils and four or five black sacks filled with children's clothing."
 
Hotpoint, Creda and Indesit tumble dryers have been at the centre of a safety scare since last year. Whirlpool - which owns all three brands - has issued a safety alert, which includes 80 out of Hotpoint's 93 tumble dryer models.
 
Last month, the UK Retail Ombudsman announced plans for a new point-of-sale register so that consumers can be reached and informed in the event of future recalls.

Related articles: