Family 'lucky to escape carbon monoxide poisoning'

Post by George Dixon on 13th August 2015 in Appliance safety

Family 'lucky to escape carbon monoxide poisoning'
A family from Kent have been told they were fortunate to avoid carbon monoxide poisoning after a gas leak resulted in a fire at their home.
 
According to news website Kent Online, the family of four managed to escape their home after a gas fire spread from their cooker to the hob. The family had noticed the smell of gas that same week but did not call an engineer.
 
"The family were really very fortunate that nothing more serious happened. Gas leaks are dangerous and really should be addressed as soon as they’re discovered," said Mark Havell, a watch manager at Kent Fire and Rescue Service.
 
"KFRS recommends all home should have at least one working and properly fitted smoke alarm on every floor, and a carbon monoxide detector near any fuel-burning appliances, including gas boilers, wood burners or open fires," he added.
 
The family - which included a couple in their late 70s - were upstairs at the time of the fire and were alerted by a smoke alarm. Fortunately, there was no explosion.

Related articles: