Kitchen fitter fined over faulty gas work

Post by George Dixon on 19th May 2015 in Appliance safety

Kitchen fitter fined over faulty gas work
A Cornwall kitchen fitter has been fined after carrying out shoddy gas work that placed a customer's life in danger.
 
Matthew Heath, of Looe, removed a kitchen hob at a Torquay property in September last year. However, he failed to cap the remaining gas supply pipe, potentially allowing large quantities of gas to escape and thereby creating the risk of an explosion.
 
While Mr Heath's Tremadden Kitchens firm displayed the Gas Safe Register logo, neither he nor his company were registered. A registered engineer was subsequently called in to complete the job safely.
 
"Mr Heath put his customer’s life at risk by carrying out work on gas pipes which he was not legally entitled to do," said Health and Safety Executive inspector Simon Jones. "He also deceived customers by claiming his company was registered with Gas Safe."
 
In a hearing at Torquay Magistrates' Court last week, Mr Heath pleaded guilty to three breaches of gas safety regulations. He was fined £5,000 and ordered to pay a further £483 in costs.

Related articles: