Faulty dishwasher causes house fire

Post by Tom Williams on 7th May 2015 in Appliance safety

Faulty dishwasher causes house fire
The occupants of a house in Bradford were forced to flee after their dishwasher burst into flames.
 
Just minutes after the three went to bed for the night at their home in the Menston district of the city, their dishwasher caught fire. Upon smelling smoke, they managed to escape the property but had to be treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.
 
West Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service firefighters from the nearby Rawdon and Shipley stations attended the scene and dealt with the blaze last week. 
 
"They had a lucky escape. If it had happened 30 minutes later we could have been looking at something more serious," crew commander Ian Rawsthorne told the Bradford Telegraph & Argus. "They are very, very lucky. They did not have smoke detectors."
 
He also warned homeowners not to leave electrical appliances operating unattended. The dishwasher had been left running after the three occupants went to bed.

Related articles: