Housing association fined over gas safety failings

Post by George Dixon on 1st May 2015 in Appliance safety

Housing association fined over gas safety failings
A London housing association has been hit with a fine after admitting to gas safety breaches that put a pregnant woman's health in danger.
 
In a recent hearing at Westminster Magistrates' Court, Shepherd's Bush Housing Association was fined £2,500 and ordered to pay costs of £1,000. The fine was issued in relation to gas work carried out at one of its properties in May last year.
 
An unregistered engineer was sent to the home to cut a gas pipe that posed a tripping hazard. It was thought that the pipe was not connected to the gas supply, but when the occupant topped up her pre-pay meter that evening gas flooded into the property.
 
"It is essential that landlords have adequate procedures in place to ensure that an appropriately competent tradesperson is assigned for any repairs required," said Zameer Bhunnoo, an inspector for the Health and Safety Executive.
 
"In this case, a Gas Safe registered engineer should have been used," he added.

Related articles: