Students evacuated over carbon monoxide scare

Post by George Dixon on 28th April 2015 in Appliance safety

Students evacuated over carbon monoxide scare
Students were evacuated from their accommodation in Exeter over the weekend after a carbon monoxide scare.
 
According to the Exeter Express and Echo, fire crews from Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service attended the property on St Sidwell's Avenue in the city on Saturday evening after the home's carbon monoxide alarm went off.
 
Equipped with breathing apparatus and a ventilator, the crews entered the property to ensure that it was safe. However, it was soon determined that the level of carbon monoxide present in the building was already of a safe level.
 
"Carbon Monoxide alarms are a useful but only as a back-up precaution," Devon & Somerset Fire and Rescue Service safety guidelines state. "They aren’t a substitute for proper installation and maintenance of fuel burning appliances."
 
Hundreds of people are hospitalised as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning in England and Wales each year.

Related articles: