Tumble dryer causes pub fire

Post by George Dixon on 30th March 2015 in Appliance safety

Tumble dryer causes pub fire
A faulty tumble dryer was found to be at fault for a fire which broke out in a historic Oxfordshire pub last week.
 
According to the Oxford Times, around 20 firefighters were called to the scene of the blaze at the 17th-century Royal Oak pub in Witney on Tuesday morning. Smoke was seen coming from the roof of the pub.
 
The crews successfully managed to extinguish the fire - which occurred when the tumble dryer located in a first-floor room burst into flames - and prevented it from spreading to the rest of the Grade II-listed building. 
 
"The landlord controlled the initial development of the fire," said incident commander Guy Dunkley. "However, it quickly became apparent that the fire could not be extinguished so the building was evacuated and the fire service called."
 
"Swift attendance and subsequent firefighting led to the damage being confined to the first floor of the public house," he added.

Related articles: