Householders warned over appliance fires

Post by Kevin Jackson on 26th March 2015 in Appliance safety

Householders warned over appliance fires
Householders have been reminded not to leave domestic appliances running unsupervised for extended periods after a house fire in Pembrokeshire.
 
According to the Western Telegraph, firefighters attended a property in the village of Houghton on Monday after being alerted to a fire. The blaze started in the kitchen and had reached the roof of the building when firefighters arrived at the scene.
 
It was later determined that the fire had been caused by a faulty dishwasher, although preliminary investigations had previously indicated that a washing machine may have been responsible.
 
"Running a washing machine, tumble dryer or dishwasher overnight or while you are out is a fire risk because of their high wattage, friction and motors," said Steve Davies, deputy head of community safety for Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue Service.
 
"A working smoke alarm in the event something does go wrong can be a lifesaver," he added.
 
No-one was injured in the fire, which left the dormer and roof space with severe damage.

Related articles: