Contractors fined over illegal gas work
Two contractors have been fined over illegal gas work carried out during a construction job in Suffolk last year.
Anthony Hylins, of Cambridgeshire, subcontracted the installation of a gas boiler at a property in Exning to Newmarket tradesman Mark Smith. The owners of the property had contracted Mr Hylins to complete an extension from January to May 2014.
Mr Hylins knew that Mr Smith was not Gas Safe registered - a legal requirement - and a subsequent Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation determined that the boiler posed a serious safety risk. A registered engineer promptly resolved the problems.
"Householders should always ask for evidence of Gas Safe registration and/or check the Gas Safe Register online before allowing work on gas appliances," said HSE inspector Ivan Brooke. "Gas work by people not competent to do so can expose people to risk of fire/explosion or carbon monoxide poisoning."
Mr Hylins was fined £2,000 and a victim surcharge of £120, with Mr Smith fined £1,000 and told to pay a victim surcharge of £100. Both were also ordered to pay costs of £645.90.