Landlord 'put tenants' safety at risk'

Post by Tom Williams on 17th February 2015 in Appliance safety

Landlord 'put tenants' safety at risk'
A landlord put the lives of a young family at risk by failing to ensure that gas appliances were regularly checked, a court was told last week.
 
The family - from Newquay in Cornwall - reported smelling gas last June, having moved in to the property in July the previous year. A subsequent inspection revealed that their boiler posed an immediate safety risk.
 
It was later determined that landlords Andrew and Deborah Hopkinson had persistently failed to ensure that gas appliances at the property were serviced in a timely manner.
 
"It was fortunate that this incident did not lead to death or injury for the tenant or her young family," said Simon Johns, an inspector with the Health and Safety Executive.
 
"Landlords must ensure annual safety checks are carried out on gas appliances at their properties and ensure they are serviced and maintained in good working order," he added.
 
Mr and Mrs Hopkinson both pleaded guilty to two breaches of gas safety regulations, with each ordered to pay separate fines of £7,000 along with costs of £209.

Related articles: