Ten hospitalised by suspected carbon monoxide leak

Post by Kevin Jackson on 30th January 2015 in Appliance safety

Ten hospitalised by suspected carbon monoxide leak
A suspected carbon monoxide leak at a community centre in Greater Manchester left ten people hospitalised on Wednesday.
 
Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service attended Castlemere Community Centre in Rochdale at 2.50pm and gas was subsequently detected, according to the Manchester Evening News. None of the ten people affected suffered life-threatening injuries.
 
Six were taken to hospital by ambulance while the remaining four took themselves to the Royal Oldham Hospital's accident and emergency department. All reported similar symptoms including blurred vision, dizziness and headaches.
 
Two ambulances and another care vehicle attended to deal with the incident. Other buildings in the area - including Rochdale's Central Mosque - were evacuated as a precaution, while some surrounding roads were closed off.
 
Those closed roads were reopened a couple of hours later, after further tests indicated that levels of gas were lower than they had been earlier.

Related articles: