Detergent manufacturers issue reminder to parents to keep laundry products out of reach
Young children and detergent were not made to mix. But while standard detergents can cause a mild stomach upset, it has been found that single-load laundry packets can result in excessive vomiting, gasping, severe irritation and breathing problems.
A study found that over 17,000 children under the age of six “ingested, inhaled or splashed the packets in their eyes or on their skin in 2012-13.”
Parents are now being strongly advised to keep all detergent and laundry products out of reach, with manufacturers saying that they should be treated with the same care as all hazardous household cleaning products.
It is thought that the laundry pods’ bright colours and squishy toy-like resemblance are what make these detergents so appealing to children. Proctor & Gamble and other manufacturers are said to be redesigning the packaging to make the product seem less attractive and reduce the risk to children.