Family escape freak fire caused by lightning strike to fridge

Post by George Dixon on 22nd July 2014 in Refrigeration, Appliance safety

Family escape freak fire caused by lightning strike to fridge

A family of four from Goole, Hull in East Yorkshire have escaped a blaze that is said to be caused by their refrigerator catching on fire after lightning struck their home.

Jane Teesdale, her husband Peter and their children Isaac, 14 and Elizabeth, 12 - who called the fire service, were helped by neighbours who put a ladder up to the first floor so that they could escape after the ground floor of their house was destroyed by flames.

Jane, Peter and Isaac evacuated safely and were treated for smoke inhalation by paramedics, but their daughter Elizabeth slipped while trying to escape and fell on to the path below.

Elizabeth was rushed to hospital where a doctor told her she was lucky to be alive. The family now want to raise awareness of how important it is to have windows that can be safely escaped from during an emergency.

The Teesdales’ home was not the only house to be affected by lightning as houses in Hardwicke, Cirencester and Solihull have also been harmed. 

Related articles: