Fire crews give laundry appliance safety tips after St Helens blaze

Post by Kevin Jackson on 27th June 2014 in Appliance safety, Laundry

Fire crews give laundry appliance safety tips after St Helens blaze

A washing machine and tumble dryer may have been destroyed in a fire at a house in St Helens, Merseyside – but firemen did manage to rescue the occupants' pet parrot.

The residents of the house in Eccleston Green had managed to escape from the property themselves by the time the fire teams from St Helens and Eccleston stations reached the scene.

They succeeded in their main aim of putting the fire out before it spread to neighbouring properties, but couldn't prevent it from destroying the appliances, as well as a number of kitchen units and an electrical socket.

Mike Costello, who was in charge of the watch which attended the fire, on Monday this week, told the St Helens Reporter: "It was really thick smoke in the property and luckily, the parrot was in a room which had to door closed, which prevented fire and smoke getting to it".

He said that fire safety advice was to close internal doors into rooms containing such appliances while they were in use and before going to bed every night, so that if a fire does break out, it can be contained.

Related articles: