Lake District guest house owners targeted in dryer safety drive

Post by George Dixon on 18th June 2014 in Laundry, Appliance safety

Lake District guest house owners targeted in dryer safety drive

As the area gears up for its busiest time of the year, with many thousands of visitors likely to flock to the area, fire chiefs have issued a timely warning to people running guest houses in the England's Lake District to use their tumble dryers safely.

Their advice follows a fire at a hotel in Troutbeck earlier this month which started in one such appliance and destroyed an historic 17th century pub and hotel.

Deputy chief fire officer for Cumbria, Adrian Buckle, who is at the forefront of the campaign, told the North West Evening Mail: “Shortly after a fire has broken out in their local area people tend to be more receptive to fire safety messages so it’s a good time for us to get out and about delivering advice and making sure homes and businesses are taking the proper precautions.

“Tumble dryer fire safety is particularly important in the hotel and holiday industry as hotels and bed and breakfast establishments often have large dryers that are frequently used,” he added.

Among tips passed on by the safety advisers are not to leave the house while a tumble dryer is in use, keep all vents free from obstructions, and clear the filter of fluff after every use. 

Related articles: