10 January 2011

Couple escape from Dishwasher fire

Here is a slightly belated news story but one that raises many important issues regarding the potential dangers of unattended appliances that have a heating function.

Firefighters have warned about the dangers of unattended appliances, after an elderly couple were placed in danger by a dishwasher fire on Christmas Day.

The couple were saved by a smoke alarm when their dishwasher caught fire in the early hours of Christmas Day.

The two escaped from their flat after being woken by the alarm and were given oxygen by firefighters from West Sussex Fire and Rescue.

The Worthing couple had set the dishwasher going, then retired to bed, but it caught fire, filling the flat with smoke.

Firefighters, who brought the blaze under control, said the smoke alarm had saved the couple’s lives, but the flat was badly damaged.

West Sussex Fire and Rescue watch commander Darren Wickings said: “We urge everyone not to switch on washing machines, dishwashers or tumble driers when going out or going to bed.”

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-12078881


Other articles